'We Europeans Have a Bagful of Culture to Share'








Tuesday 6 April 2010

UK short story set in Finland

A Story of a Wolf Cub

I stood gazing in wonder at the blue, green and red swirls of the majestic Northern lights. As I walked back to the hut, the crunch of snow became louder. But, just at that moment, I realized that it was not just my footsteps, but there was a wolf cub following me!

“You look cold!” I said. “Come with me, I’ll give you food and warmth.”

With that I scooped the cub up into my arms and took him home.

After my dinner, I scooped up the leftovers into a small bowl for the cub. The cub tucked in and never stopped eating.

“Since you’ll be moving in with me, I think I’ll call you…” I thought long and hard. “How about Will?”

Then my mum said, “That’s a lovely name – Will it is!”

The next day, my dad and I had to go logging as we were short of wood for the fire. Right at the last minute, I asked my mum if I could take Will with me.

She replied, “Well, OK then, but be careful with him and make sure he gets back in one piece.”

After a long trek across the frozen lake, and into the woods, we found a great lumbering spot. In the background we could see Will playing around in the snow; he was truly having a great time. He loved to skate his small feet on the frozen lake. A couple of times he fell over onto his furry back, but it was nothing serious.

When we came home, we were met by the heavenly smell of mum’s freshly made berry pie. After we had eaten some tasty ham and potato casserole and finished off the pie, we sat down and started talking, whilst the cozy flames of the fire warmed us up.

Halfway through the conversation, we were interrupted by Will’s howling so we raced to see what it was for. The majestic blue colours of the Northern lights had caught his eye – they really were a beautiful sight. Suddenly we heard an answering howl from the edge of the woods. Racing around in circles, Will stopped, then scratched at the door. Opening it, we watched as he hurtled towards a shadow in the trees. Moonlight shone down on a female wolf – Will had found his mother again.

No comments: